Re: Interactive storytelling and me; and a challenge

Quoting "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com>:

> thom@indiana.edu wrote:
>
> >Art isn't
> >something which matches the couch any more.
> >

> I missed this bit earlier.  I don't know where you've been art shopping
> lately, but there are a helluva lotta galleries in a helluva lotta parts
> of the country where the Art darn well does "match the couch."

My point is that that is not art.

But Is It Art?: An Introduction to Art Theory
by Cynthia Freeland

This is not a new book but Freeland goes thru 'all' the roles art has fulfilled
through out history. Sorry, to say but matching the couch is not one of them
any more.

You talk about 'art' generators as if this is an easy add-on to idrama
creation. My point is that automatic art is as easy as automatic story and
automatic music and even automatic programming for the coders who might
remember that one.

Art is created by artists who spend a lot of time perfecting their craft which
might be art, music, storytelling and/or programming.

We have had a good half a century of programming. I can't think of anything
which comes close to 'ART' in caps. Closest I can come to is Harold Cohen's
program Aaron which produces 'paintings' He studied with Fiegenbaum at Stanford
and actually was a world-class abstract expressionist before he decided to
create Aaron. He had mastered the art of art as his foundation. Aaron produced
'paintings' but 'Aaron' was the real art, a program which actually couldn't
produce art.

Aaron's Code: Meta-Art, Artificial Intelligence and the Work of Harold Cohen
by Pamela McCorduck

--Thom