Re: designing socially-constructive spaces

David Galiel wrote:

That is why NPCs that appear superficially like other players are a deep design error, in my opinion, and why, in the worlds I am designing, everything that looks human, is human, and everything that is AI/AL driven, looks like a machine or a non-sentient life-form (and, in fact, anything that is supposed to be an AI is, in fact, a human-operated puppet).

I had thought of ripping off Picasso or Giaccometti. Make all humans unrealistic. Go back to all the various tribal masks. Various cultures have specific functions for their masks. Some visiting artist talked about some group in West Africa, I forget which one. They had 3 masks: an animal, a woman, or a grotesque. I remember the function of a 'woman' mask was to not scare children, so that they could become educated about the masks. Can't remember more. Perhaps the idea of "there's only 3 roles for anyone who comes here" is a good simplification to make.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.