Re: designing socially-constructive spaces

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Galiel" <web@galiel.com>
I have yet to hear a compelling reason why we have to devote so much time, energy and budget to making artificial humans, when we have a potential market of hundreds of millions of real humans with a multimedia PC and an Internet connection, just dying for an opportunity to get involved in network-mediated collaborate storytelling--but uninterested in the current crop of "interactive" entertainment.

Because very few people are skilled dramatists / actors, who will perform for / with me, the player, on a moment's notice. If I want to play an intimate interactive drama, with just a few characters (eg, something like Desperate Housewives or M*A*S*H or Six Feet Under or the O.C.), where I, the player, am one of just a few main characters, practically speaking I just don't see other human players able to play the other roles successfully. Especially if thousands or millions of people want to play and be a main character, in their own performance where they have lots of control.

It's not obvious to me that the power of the masses can be harnessed into much other than sprawling virtual world / group LARP type experiences.

Andrew