Re: designing socially-constructive spaces

It seems to me that the "uncanny valley" applies not only when talking about digital avatars, but also when talking about social constructs and interactivity.

It is far easier, and more reasonable, to use procedurally generated visuals and behaviors when dealing with unfamiliar contexts. You can feasibly convince a viewer that your Centauri mind-slug looks and sounds as real as its imagined surroundings.

So, I can see how Spore could make clever and productive use of procedural content at certain phases, but note how there is still, at the meta-level, built-in mechanisms for humans to share designs and creations, (and hopefully to tell human stories).

Far more difficult and perhaps even unproductive to focus too much effort on trying to recreate the most human-like behaviors--story-telling among them. Particularly when, embedded deep in every human is the instinctive desire to tell and be moved by human stories.

Artificial illusions of intelligent dialog, emotion, and particularly creativity are not convincing, particularly not when one can easily compare them to the real thing. Being "almost" real is often worse that being clearly machine, because of that uncanny valley phenomenon.

That is why NPCs that appear superficially like other players are a deep design error, in my opinion, and why, in the worlds I am designing, everything that looks human, is human, and everything that is AI/AL driven, looks like a machine or a non-sentient life-form (and, in fact, anything that is supposed to be an AI is, in fact, a human-operated puppet). It believe this avoids disappointing people - especially in a culture that, due to Hollywood science fiction, expects true, sentient AI *today*. I have yet to hear a compelling reason why we have to devote so much time, energy and budget to making artificial humans, when we have a potential market of hundreds of millions of real humans with a multimedia PC and an Internet connection, just dying for an opportunity to get involved in network-mediated collaborate storytelling--but uninterested in the current crop of "interactive" entertainment.

Even when talking about procedurally-generated visuals, such artifices should be employed, in my understanding, only when the human-generated alternative is highly impractical. It makes sense for Spore's terrain, less so for a virtual art gallery. We should not be so hasty to automate for automation's sake.

- galiel