Re: designing socially-constructive spaces

Nicolas Szilas wrote:

David Galiel wrote :

Even when talking about procedurally-generated visuals, such artifices should be employed, in my understanding, only when the human-generated alternative is highly impractical. It makes sense for Spore's terrain, less so for a virtual art gallery. We should not be so hasty to automate for automation's sake.

Yes, one should not. In Interactive Drama, automation is not used to replace human-generated alternative but to do something different: letting the user act upon the system (again: interactive, not generative).

I think we should be hasty to do any and all kinds of things that can be done hastily. We need to get iDrama products to market, guys. Get them past the theory stage. If you have a team of dozens of animators to compete with the latest greatest AAA eye candy offerings, great. You've got something I don't have, and won't anytime soon. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. Or as someone I know once said, "desperation is the mother**cker of invention." Now, I'm not telling you that I have a visual art generation system yet, that I've whipped one up, but I see it as a much easier problem than story generation. I am prinicpally concerned with the plight of the lone auteur. I think we're going to have "not enough people or funding to do this work" in a commercially viable sense for awhile yet, so I'm looking for any possible means to cheat, cut corners, and produce a viable product.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

T-shirt that landed someone a job:  "I'm not an asshole,
I'm a Shaper!"  http://www.teams.org.uk/shaper.htm